There are so many superfoods out there that do a great job of boosting energy and mood levels and can be easily integrated into your everyday diet. Take a peek at this list from Mind Body Green of these nature’s gifts if you are looking for simple, effective energy enhancement.
- Raw, organic cacao – Yes, the good news is that chocolate is actually a superfood. However, this refers to real, raw, organic pure cacao and not the sugar-laden packaged chocolate bars sold in most stores. A weight-loss aid and high-energy food, cacao boasts of antioxidants and minerals like magnesium, iron, manganese, and zinc. It also contains tryptophan, a potent mood enhancer that is crucial in producing serotonin, which helps reduce anxiety and produces the same impact as love in your brain.
- Maca powder – Another natural energy supplement is maca, a root that hails from Peru and mainly found in powder form. It can balance hormones and benefit women’s PMS symptoms and men’s fertility levels. Rich in minerals and vitamins like B1, B2, C, and E, maca can help alleviate stress and power up one’s energy levels.
- Coconut – This much-celebrated food comes in various forms including flesh/meat, water, oil, and butter. Rich in potassium, it rehydrates the body and even offers antiviral action. Its saturated fat, too, is deemed supportive of the thyroid, immune system, skin, and nervous system.
- Chia seeds – These seeds, a favorite addition to meals and snacks, are a complete protein that provides plenty of fiber as well as calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, and manganese. They’re a rich fiber source as well that a mere tablespoon of these seeds added to breakfast smoothies, juices, or cereals can greatly up one’s intake. Chia seeds are a favorite for vitamin C, omega-3s, and antioxidants, too. Soak them in coconut water or mashed fruit for breakfast and you can be ready for the day’s energy demands ahead.
- Spirulina – This blue-green algae contains 300 percent more protein than fish, meat, or poultry but with zero cholesterol. It is also rich in chlorophyll as well as antioxidants. Spirulina can help lead to a needed strength and energy boost – incorporate it in your juices or health drinks, or use it in tablet form for the desired benefits.
With the increasing demands of daily life – from pulling all-nighters for a college exam to building and running an IT startup – it becomes very important to have peak levels of energy.
So-called “smart pills” or nootropics, for instance, boast of energy-enhancing properties – meaning they can focus on both the brain and the body. These best energy supplements are just some options you may explore if you often find yourself short in performance, vitality, and zest for doing everyday tasks.
Of course, don’t forget the supreme role of a healthy, balanced diet in this mission – superfoods could be the missing part of the energy and wellness equation.